Counseling Requirements for Kentucky
See KRS Section 335.525 of Laws and Regulations for Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor
- Paid your application fee as set by the board at the time you apply
- Completed 60 hours of counseling course work and holds a master’s or doctoral degree
- Completed minimum of 4000 hours of experience in the practice of counseling, all of which must be obtained after your degree.
- Minimum of 1600 of direct counseling with individuals, couples, families, or groups.
- Minimum of 100 hours of face to face clinical supervision with an approved supervisor
- Complete organized practicum or internship consisting of at least 400 hours
- Passed examinations required by the board
Licensed “Professional Counselor Associate”
- Pay your application fee.
- Completed 60 hours of counseling course work, holds a master’s degree or doctoral degree.
- Has not completed the 4000 hours of experience in the practice of counseling or taken the examination
- Has obtained a board-approved supervisor of record who has completed the required 3-hours of Board-approved CEUs in supervision and has retained the certificate of attendance.
- Be sure that the LPC board has a record of your supervisor BEFORE you start your supervision
- Supervision must happen a minimum of 3 times per month, and 1 hour per meeting
- You can apply to be a LPCC once you have passed the exam and completed your 4000 hours.