The Doctor of Philosophy (Biblical Studies) program is designed to prepare effective professors of biblical studies for seminaries and colleges, in and beyond the United States, who can interpret current information for students and advance the body of knowledge that informs the mission of the church.
- Commit to cultivate holy love of God and neighbor demonstrated by a knowledge of and practice in the Christian disciplines including works of service, with particular attention to a Wesleyan understanding of the means of grace.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of biblical studies, including linguistic skills appropriate to the field, and a sound research method reflecting critical, analytical, and synthesizing capabilities.
- Engage in biblical scholarship in the service of the church, academy, and larger society.
- Practice and critically reflect on the vocation of theological scholarship both in its dimensions of teaching, learning, and research, and in the context of ecclesial and academic communities within which that vocation is realized.
- Appreciate the biblical foundations of Wesleyan-holiness theology and spiritual life.