page-header-image default-header-image

Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

Where are you located?

We are based in Wilmore, Ky. 15 miles south of Lexington, Ky. We are pleased to offer a second campus in Orlando, Fla. Both of our campuses offer a wide variety of educational opportunities.  

How much will Seminary cost?

The Admissions Office offers a list of educational expenses.  

Can I complete a degree online?

You can complete the entirety of a Certificate of Christian Studies online. In addition, you can complete 2/3 of a Master of Divinity and 1/2 of selected Master of Arts degrees online, provided the appropriate courses are available. Asbury Seminary provides flexible class schedules to complete your degree utilizing our on-campus intensives throughout the academic year.  

Is your school accredited?

Yes! We are accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (TATS) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and approved by the United Methodist Senate. To learn more about our accreditation click here.  

Are you associated with a particular denomination?

Asbury Seminary is a multi-denominational graduate school of theology.  We are not affiliated with any one denomination but proud of our rich Wesleyan heritage.  

How can I talk with someone about Asbury Seminary?

You may reach someone in the Admissions Office Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. by calling 859.858.2211 or emailing  

How long does it take to complete a Master of Divinity degree? What about a Master of Arts degree?

The average student takes between 6 and 9 hours each academic semester. Our Master of Divinity is a 96 credit hour degree, which typically takes students between three to five years to complete. Our Master of Arts degrees range from 60 to 63 hours, which typically takes students two to four years to complete.  

Is chapel required?

Chapel is not required, however our vibrant worship services attract students, faculty and staff for community gatherings every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in Kentucky and every Tuesday and Thursday in Florida. You can learn more about our chapel program, by visiting our chapel archives. You can also joins us for worship online as we live-stream our chapel services from the Kentucky Campus.  

Do you have a dress code?

Asbury Seminary does not have a dress code. We do encourage all students to dress modestly and appropriate for the environment that you are in.  

What is an ethos statement?

An ethos statement is a community standard of behavior that seeks to define how we pursue holiness in fellowship.  

What does your statement of faith say?

Please view our Statement of Faith.  

General application

How do I know if you have received my transcripts, references, etc.?

You will gain access to our oneATS system once your application has been processed. This system will allow you to see what materials the Admissions Office has received for your file and what materials are still needed.  

What is a Letter of Good Standing?

A letter of good standing is needed if you are applying as a visiting student to the seminary. The letter must state that you are in good academic standing at your current institution, and that they will accept transfer credits from Asbury Seminary. The letter must be sent by mail in a sealed envelope directly from the institution’s Dean or Registrar. Asbury Seminary does not directly request this letter from your institution.  

Application Fee

How do I pay my application fee?

Three ways:

  1. Online: You will receive an email with a link to pay online once you have applied
  2. Check or Money Order: Check or Money Order: You are welcome to send a check or money order by mail to Asbury Theological Seminary Attn: Admissions Office 204 N. Lexington Ave., Wilmore, KY 40390.


How do I get “official” academic transcripts sent to Asbury Seminary?

You must request your transcripts from the Office of the Registrar at each school you have attended. In order for a transcript to be an official copy, it must come in a sealed envelope directly from the school.  A faxed copy of your transcript is considered unofficial. An email copy of your transcript is considered unofficial unless emailed directly to Asbury Seminary from a clearinghouse (e-Scrip, eSCRIP-SAFE, etc.).  

What if I already have a student copy of my transcript?

It will be considered unofficial and we will not be able to act on your file until an official transcript is received. You may always send it as a placeholder but it will not count as an official copy.  

What if I don’t graduate until next year or next semester?

You can be admitted on a “provisional” basis with your current undergraduate transcripts if you are in your final or next to final semester at your undergraduate institution.   A partial transcript and a letter from your school verifying eligibility for graduation will be needed for provisional admission.  Once your degree is conferred and we receive an official transcript verifying its completion, we will change your status from “provisional” to “good.” Final transcripts must be received by the Admissions Office before the start of your first semester of classes.  

What if I only took one class at another school? Do I still need a transcript?

For most MA/MDiv applicants, transcripts are needed from any school that you attended for more than one semester.  D.Min, PhD and ThM applicants are required to submit transcripts from all institutions attended.  

I am an international student, do I need my transcript evaluated by an outside service?

Although not required, having your transcript evaluated by an outside service like WES does assist us in processing your transcript in a timely and efficient manner.  To learn about this – visit WES online at: If translating or understanding your transcript becomes difficult, the admissions committee may request that you submit your transcript to WES for evaluation.  


How do I get the reference forms?

You will receive an email from our Application and Communications Specialist the day after your application is processed that will contain a link to the electronic reference page. This email will also contain your “Prospective ID” and “Passcode” information. The online application will provide you the opportunity to enter the email addresses of your 4 references so that the form will be sent directly to them.  At any point after you receive that email, you can send the names and email addresses to and our Application and Communications Specialist will send the form to them.  If you need a hard copy of the reference form, you may print copies from our website.  

What kind of references do I need?

For M.A. and M.Div. applicants, we require at least one pastoral reference. The other three references can come from any number of sources, including, but not limited to, professor, co-worker, lay person, ministry supervisor, friend, employer or other. References cannot be related to you.  

Who can complete my pastoral reference?

Preferably, this form is completed by the pastor of your current church.  However, we accept references from campus pastors, youth ministers, assistant pastors, executive pastors, etc.  If you are the pastor of your home church, we request a ministry supervisor, ministerial colleague, or superintendent. The reference can come from anyone who is in a full-time ministry position.  


Do I need to take the MAT or GRE?

An M.A., M.Div., Cert. or Unclassified applicant is only required to take the MAT or GRE if they have not completed a Bachelor’s degree or if their cumulative GPA falls below the minimum requirement for reduced load. PhD and ThM students are required to take the GRE for admission.  

How do I schedule my Millers Analogy Test?

You can schedule your test at www.milleranalogies.comor by calling 1.800.622.3231. Our school code for this test is 1170.  

How do I schedule my General Records Exam?

You can schedule your GRE at or by calling 1.800.GRE.CALL. Our school code for this test is 1020.  

What score do I need on the GRE?

For an M.A., M.Div., or Certificate program, a Verbal score of 153 on the new scale (500 on the old scale) is required. For the Th.M. or Ph.D., a Verbal score of 160 on the new scale (600 on the old scale) is required, along with an Analytical score of 5.0  

What score do I need on the MAT?

For the MA, MDiv, or Certificate, a score of 410 is required.  

How do I schedule a TOEFL or IELTS Exam?

You can schedule your TOEFL at, our school code is 1020. You can schedule your IELTS at, no school code is necessary.  

How do I request a TOEFL or IELTS waiver?

Please contact your Admissions Counselor to request a waiver; if you qualify, they will send you the necessary form.  

Admitted Students

Can I defer my admission?

Admitted students may defer their acceptance for up to one full year from their initial semester of acceptance. This means that a Fall applicant who defers can enter in the Spring, Summer or Fall of the following year before they would need to re-apply.  

Who do I need to contact regarding financial aid?

Each applicant will be assigned a Financial Aid Consultant upon acceptance. Your Financial Aid Consultant will work with you to complete the scholarship and financial aid applications. If you have general Financial Aid questions you can reach Financial Aid by emailing