Faculty Publications Fall 2016
- Arnold, Bill. The World around the Old Testament: The People and Places of the Ancient Near East, edited with Brent A. Strawn. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Academic, 2016
- Bevins, Winfield. A Sower’s Guide to Church Planting. Seedbed Publishing, 2016
- Kalas, J. Ellsworth. The Story Continues: The Acts of the Apostles for Today. Abingdon Press, 2016
- Keener, Craig. Spirit Hermeneutics: Reading Scripture in Light of Pentecost. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2016. (Dedicated to SBI colleagues)
- Keener, Craig. The Mind of the Spirit: Paul’s Approach to Transformed Thinking. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2016
- Long, Fred. Co-edited with Isaiah Allen, In their Own Words: The Greek New Testament for Pastors and Teachers (Mark, Romans, and 1 John).Wilmore, KY: GlossaHouse, 2015
- Offutt, Stephen, F. David Bronkema, Krisanne Vaillancourt Murphy, Robb Davis, and Gregg Okesson. Advocating for Justice: An Evangelical Vision for Transforming Systems and Structures. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2016
- Okello, Joseph B. Onyango. History and Critique of Methodological Naturalism: The Philosophical Case for God’s Design of Nature. Eugene: Wipf & Stock Publishers, 2016.
- Okello, Joseph B. Onyango. Wilderness Moments: And How To Overcome Them. CreateSpace, 2016
- Pachuau, Lalsangkima. “‘Assistants’ or ‘Leaders’? The Contributions of Early Christian Converts in North-East India.” In Christianity in Indian History: Issues of Culture, Power and Knowledge, Edited by Pius Malekandathil, Joy L. K. Pachuau, and Tanika Sarkar, p. 102-118. Delhi: Ratna Sagar, 2016
- Peterson, Michael and Michael Ruse. Science, Evolution, and Religion: A Debate about Atheism and Theism Oxford University Press, 2017
Chapters or Articles in Books
- Arnold, Bill. “Wordplay on ‘Hammurapi’ in CH iv 54,” NABU: Nouvelles Assyriologiques Brèves et Utilitaires 2016/2 (June), 72.
- Bounds, Christopher. Chapter Five: “A Theology of Leadership for Wesleyans.” Pages 57-69 in Leadership the Wesleyan Way. An Anthology for Forming Leaders in Wesleyan Thought and Practice, edited by Aaron Perry and Bryan Easley. Emeth Press. 2016
- Gray, Richard. Chapter Twenty-seven: “Leading in an Urban Context.” Pages 341-353 in Leadership the Wesleyan Way. An Anthology for Forming Leaders in Wesleyan Thought and Practice, edited by Aaron Perry and Bryan Easley. Emeth Press. 2016
- Gutenson, Charles. Chapter Seventeen: “A Wesleyan Critique of Political Leadership.” Pages 217-224 in Leadership the Wesleyan Way. An Anthology for Forming Leaders in Wesleyan Thought and Practice, edited by Aaron Perry and Bryan Easley. Emeth Press. 2016
- Joseph, Abson. Chapter Seven: “NewTestament Perspectives on Leadership.” Pages 83-92 in Leadership the Wesleyan Way. An Anthology for Forming Leaders in Wesleyan Thought and Practice, edited by Aaron Perry and Bryan Easley. Emeth Press. 2016
- LaGrone, Jessica. “Lenten Series: God on the Move.” Pages192-203, “Easter Series: Surprise! The Unexpected Acts of God.” Pages 204-215. A Preacher’s Guide to Lectionary Sermon Series, Thematic Plans for Years A, B, and C. Louisville: Westminster John Knox. 2016
- Moon, Jay. “Orality in America – When Literates Stop Reading,” in Orality in America. Mark Snowden & Jerry Wiles, eds. Mission American Coalition. 2016
- E-book available at: https://newsletter.missionamerica.org/2016/OralityinAmerica-July16.pdf
- Offutt, Stephen & Grant Miller. “Transnationalism.” Pages 525-546 in Handbook of Religion and Social Institutions. Second Edition. Edited by David Yamane. New York & Switzerland: Springer Publishing Company. 2016
- Sims, Bryan. Chapter Twenty-five: “Adaptive Wesleyan Spiritual Leadership.” Pages 317-330 in Leadership the Wesleyan Way. An Anthology for Forming Leaders in Wesleyan Thought and Practice, edited by Aaron Perry and Bryan Easley. Emeth Press. 2016
- Smith, Daryl. Chapter Twenty-eight: “Leading Ministry Teams and Small Groups.” Page 355-363 in Leadership the Wesleyan Way. An Anthology for Forming Leaders in Wesleyan Thought and Practice, edited by Aaron Perry and Bryan Easley. Emeth Press. 2016
- Tumblin, Tom. Chapter Sixteen: “Wesleyan Pragmatism in Leadership.” Pages 207-216 in Leadership the Wesleyan Way. An Anthology for Forming Leaders in Wesleyan Thought and Practice, edited by Aaron Perry and Bryan Easley. Emeth Press. 2016
Long, Fred. Books serving as a Series Editor:
- Cerone, Jacob N. Into the Deep: A Comparative Discourse Analysis of the Masoretic and Septuagint Versions of Jonah. GlossaHouse Thesis Series 2. Wilmore, KY: GlossaHouse, 2016.
- Halcomb, T. Michael W. Paul the Change Agent: The Context, Aims, and Implications of an Apostolic Innovator. GlossaHouse Dissertation Series 2. GlossaHouse, 2015.
- Lewis, Bryan E. Jew and Gentile Reconciled: An Exploration of the Ten Northern Tribes in Pauline Literature. GlossaHouse Thesis Series 1. Wilmore, KY: GlossaHouse, 2016.
- Sweatman, Carl S. The Spirit and the Cross, Wisdom, and Communal Discernment: A Critical Exploration of 1 Corinthians 2.1-3.4. GlossaHouse Dissertation Series 1. GlossaHouse, 2015.
- Renshaw, Brian and Shawn Wilhite, eds. The Letters of Ignatius. Accessible Greek Resources and Online Studies. The Apostolic Fathers Greek Readers. Wilmore, KY: GlossaHouse, 2015.
O’Malley, J. Steven,
- Editor, At the Bend of the River Grand, Emeth Press, 2016
- Co-Editor with Philomena Mwaura, African Urban Christian Identity Emerging Patterns, Nairobi, Kenya, 2016
Peterson, Michael, editor, The Problem of Evil. Selected Readings, second edition. University of Notre DamePress, Sept 2016
Journal & Magazine Articles & Blog Posts
- Johnson-Miller, Beverly. “Why Aging and Spirituality Deserve the Attention of Religious Educators.” Aging and Spirituality Insights the Faculty Journal of Austin Seminary (Spring 2016): 24-27.
- Keener, Craig. “A Response to Friends’ Responses.” Trinity Journal 37 n.s. (2016): 79-94 (in an issue largely devoted to reviews of my Acts commentary).
- Keener, Craig. “Response to Martin Mittelstadt’s Review of Acts: An Exegetical Commentary.” Pneuma 38 (2016): 207-11, responding to Martin W. Mittelstadt, “Craig S. Keener’s Acts: An Exegetical Encyclopedia in Four Volumes: An Almost Exhaustive and Exhausting Work,” Pneuma 38 (2016): 193-206.
- Keener, Craig. “‘What Is Truth?’: Pilate’s Perspective on Jesus in John 18:33-38.” In John, Jesus and History. Vol. 3: Glimpses of Jesus through the Johannine Lens. Edited by Paul N. Anderson, Felix Just, and Tom Thatcher. SBL Early Christianity and Its Literature 18. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 2016.
- Long, Fred. Co-Editor (with R. David Bauer) of The Journal of Inductive Biblical Study, Vol. 3, No. 1, Jan 2016.
- Moon, Jay. 2016. “Fad or Renaissance: Misconceptions of the Orality Movement,” International Bulletin of Missionary Research40(1): 6-21.
- Offutt, Stephen, LiErin Probasco, & Brandon Vaidyanathan. 2016. “Religion, Global Poverty, and International Development.” Journal for the Social Scientific Study of Religion. 55(2): 207-2015.
- Pachuau, Lalsangkima. “Intercultural Hermeneutics: A Word of Introduction.” The Asbury Journal 70, No. 1 (Spring 2015): 8-16.
- Keener, Craig. George Guthrie, 2 Corinthians. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2015. In Review of Biblical Literature (online, June 2016).
- Moon, Jay. 2016. “Making Disciples Across Cultures: Missional Principles for a Diverse World.” International Bulletin of Mission Research. Approved for publication.
- Offutt, Stephen. 2016. Review of Religion Without Borders: Inside the Minds of the Spiritual but Not Religious. By Linda Mercadente. New York: Oxford University Press. In Interpretation: A Journal of Bible and Theology Vol 70(2): 239-240.
Custer, Wesley. Three conference presentations from ATLA 2016.
- “Open Source Technologies: Siren Call or Silver Bullet” – by, Wesley D. Custer, Gabriel Ortiz, and Thad Horner
- “Persuasive Design in the Theological Library” – by, Wesley D. Custer
- “Moodle as an Information Literacy Training Platform” – by, Wesley D. Custer
Keener, Craig. The NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2016. Authored the New Testament notes and many of the NT sidebars.
Kiesling, Chris. Presentation. Teaching the Next Generations, A Comprehensive Guide for Teaching Christian Formation, ed. Terry Linhart. Article by James K. Hampton, “Using Narrative to Invite Others Into the Story of God,” pp. 249-258.
Long, Fred. Presentations.
- “Vital Relations and Major Structural Relationships: A Heuristic Approach to Observe and Explore Biblical and Other Discourse.” Presented Nov 22, 2015 at a session of Cognitive Linguistics in Biblical Interpretation at the Annual Meeting of SBL, Atlanta, GA
- “Review of Harry O. Maier, Picturing Paul in Empire: Imperial Image, Text and Persuasion in Colossians, Ephesians and the Pastoral Epistles(Bloomsbury, 2013).” Panel discussion on Nov 21, 2015 at the Joint Session with Rhetoric of Religious Antiquity and Disputed Paulines; Theme: Refining Rhetography at the Annual Meeting of SBL, Atlanta, GA.
- “A Philosophy of Greek Instruction” at the Oct 26, 2015 meeting of Gamma Rho Kappa, Wilmore, KY.
- Korean translation of my NICOT commentary on Isaiah.
- Chinese translation of Called To Be Holy.
Seamands, Stephen. The Unseen Real: Life in the Light of the Ascension of Jesus. Seedbed, 2016