General Information

Personal Counseling for Students

At times students in the counseling program desire to receive personal counseling. At other times, the counseling faculty may recommend that a student seek personal counseling to attend to issues and concerns that appear to be impeding a student’s professional development and readiness to serve as a professional counselor or pastoral counselor.  The faculty of the Department of Counseling and Pastoral Care do not provide private counseling for students in our degrees because of the presence of dual relationships.  Counseling students who seek personal counseling are eligible for limited financial assistance through the counseling referral program at Asbury Seminary.

The counseling referral program at Asbury Seminary includes referral and support for personal guided retreats, and assistance in establishing students as functioning members of the community through initiatives such as covenant friendships and Stephen’s Ministry. Seminary counseling is more like a MASH unit than a residential care program – triage, treatment, and back to the front lines. Long-term chronic care is not the goal. Currently the Seminary contributes half the cost of a maximum of six appointments. The Office of Community Formation will provide a student with a list of private practitioners who are graciously reducing rates and making space for students in need. Students desiring counseling support will contact the Office of Community Formation to book an appointment with the counseling referral staff member. This contact is intended to provide another link into the community, a face to face connection.

Course Complaints

The student who has a course-related complaint [e.g., course grade, timely and substantive feedback, late work, incomplete work, interpretation of course requirements, etc.] with a professor should talk first with the professor involved. If the professor is satisfied that the issue is one of fact, he/she may suggest a resolution to the complaint. If the student agrees with the faculty member’s judgment, the matter shall be concluded.

If the student and professor do not agree whether the issue is one of fact or judgment, the student will consult with the dean of the professor’s school. The dean, on the basis of a conference with the faculty member, will make a preliminary decision regarding whether the matter is one of fact or judgment and will inform the faculty member and the student of his/her decision, in writing. If the dean indicates that the issue is one of judgment and the student accepts the decision, the matter may be terminated. Or, if the dean’s preliminary decision is that the issue is one of fact, and the faculty member agrees and acts accordingly, the matter may be terminated.

If the student or faculty member does not agree with the dean’s preliminary decision, the matter may be presented to the Academic Council in writing for discussion and recommendation. The council shall invite the faculty member and the student involved to participate in the discussion, though the final decision will be made in executive session. If the academic council decides that the issue is one of fact, it shall direct the family member regarding the resolution of the issue. The academic council shall tender its decision to all parties in writing.

In the event that either the faculty member and/or the student does not agree with the decision of the academic council, the faculty member and/or the student may appeal to the vice president of academic affairs/provost (vpaa/provost) who shall be the final arbiter with respect to the resolution of the complaint.

Official documentation of all course-related complaints and resolution to same shall be housed in the Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs/Provost.

Guidelines for Asking Professors for References

We are happy to serve as references for you as we are able. We will provide an honest assessment of our experiences with you and of your counseling competencies. In order to do so we must receive pertinent information from you. To help us write the most complete reference possible, we need the following information.  Please submit this information to us when you give us a reference form, or when you list us as references on a resume or job application.

  1. Personal information: Name, age
  2. Statement of career goals and objectives
  3. Education: Undergraduate institution, degree, date of degree; Graduate studies (please include beginning and end date of study at Asbury Seminary), post-graduate studies
  4. Scholastic Achievement/Aptitude Scores – as applicable to your request
  5. Honors, Awards, Scholarships
  6. Professional Affiliations (ACA, CAPS, etc.)
  7. Career-related experiences that contribute to the content of the reference letter
  8. Internship during graduate studies – Location/Site, Supervisor, Duties performed, Dates of internship
  9. Extracurricular activities that are pertinent to your reference request
  10. Leadership opportunities
  11. Publications/Writing

Please provide postage for reference forms that you wish us to mail.  Make sure we know the deadline for each particular reference.