Dr. Fred Long
- New Testament Background, Literature and Exegesis
- Classical and Biblical Greek
- Pauline Epistles
- Ancient Rhetoric and Political Theory
- Greco-Roman Society and Culture
- Moral Formation in Scripture
- B.S., University of Illinois, 1988
- M.Div., Asbury Theological Seminary specializing in Biblical Studies, 1992
- M.A., Classical Greco-Roman Literature, University of Kentucky, 1995
- Ph.D., Religious Studies, Marquette University specializing in Biblical Theology, 1999
Dr. Fredrick J. Long’s research and writings cover the areas of Biblical and Greco-Roman literature, Greek grammatical and discourse analysis and translation, and biblical commentary. He has published a monograph with Cambridge University Press (Ancient Rhetoric and Paul’s Apology, 2004), a beginning Greek textbook (Kairos: A Beginning Greek Grammar with Accompanying Workbook and Answer Key [Bellingham, Wash.: Logos, 2005, 2008]), and most recently, A Parallel & Interlinear New Testament Polyglot: Luke-Acts in Hebrew, Latin, Greek, English, German, and French (Wilmore, Ky.: Glossa House, available at www.ntpolyglot.com). Forthcoming is his commentary, Exploring Ephesians: Pauline Proclamation and Roman Imperialism (Rhetoric of Religious Antiquities; John Knox Westminster/Deo Press) and he is currently writing a commentary based upon fresh text-critical and discourse analysis of 2 Corinthians in the new Brill Exegetical Commentary series.
Dr. Long is an active presenter at the annual meetings of the Society of Biblical Literature and has traveled internationally to present papers in Canada, Germany, and Holland. In addition to having published journal articles, he has contributed essays to several books and reference works. From 2003 to 2007 he was acting senior editor of the journal Reflections: A Publication of the Missionary Church Historical Society. He has translated all the Psalmic literature for the Lexham Greek-English Septuagint Interlinear (Logos Research Systems) and Paul’s Epistle to the Galatians for the new Common English Bible (Abingdon Press).