Asbury Theological Seminary’s 12-credit hour certificate in Christian Education allows you to explore your options, expand your knowledge, and experience the way God can work in your life at seminary.
The certificate options are non-degree programs, but they enable you to test a call to ministry by experiencing one year of seminary education. Certificates also fulfill continuing education requirements or form a solid foundation of academic credits for those who desire to continue their education and pursue a degree.
What to Expect from the Certificate
As you complete your certificate, you will
- Learn to practice personal and social holiness as you couple theory with experiential learning, intercultural understanding and contextualization.
- Gain a fresh, deep and contemporary understanding of Scripture rooted in the Wesleyan tradition.
- Conceptualize and implement leadership strategies for diverse socio-cultural situations and settings.
- Develop and apply leadership skills within your ministry context.
|January 15||May 15||September 7
- Application Form
- Personal History Essay
- Official Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions where more than one semester of coursework was taken
- Four required references (references cannot be related to applicant)
- Four references completed on the Admissions Office form at asburyseminary.edu, including a pastoral reference (required) and a professor or academic administrator reference (recommended). Laity or personal acquaintances are accepted.
- $50 Nonrefundable Application Fee
- Background Check (run by the Admissions Office)
- A personal interview may be required upon request by the Admissions Committee
Personal History Essay:
- Share your life story, including at what point you began your relationship with Jesus Christ. Talk about your growth since that time and what brings you to apply to Seminary at this season in your life. Include your thoughts on how you would like to see your faith grow during your time in Seminary.
- What draws you to your desired major/area of study? What is your intended outcome upon degree completion? Why is that career or ministry choice meaningful to you?
- Discuss a local, national, and/or international issue and why you are passionate about it.
Stephanie M. RaglinDirector of Programs at the Hope Center.
Pastor, Embry Chapel AME Church in Elizabethtown, Ky.
Christopher GossDirector of Worship Arts, Youth & Young Adults Ministries, Mosaic UMC, Georgia.
Deb AdamsFounder, Gracie's Place.
Aaron ReynoldsLeadership Development Program, Chick-fil-A.
Michael HammondPresident and Chief Servant, Faith Covenant Ministries, Missouri.
Rob MehnerDirector of Pastoral Care and Training Education, New Life Children's Home, Guatemala.
Dr. Maria Russell KenneyAssistant Professor of Christian Ethics.
Dr. Randy JessenExecutive Director, Global Hope.
Connor ReavyStudent and Marathon Runner.
George WassonLead Pastor, Faith Point Church, Floyds Knobs, Ind.
Learn more about what other graduates of Asbury Seminary are doing.
|CERTIFICATE COURSE REQUIREMENTS||Hrs Req|
|Christian Education Required Courses||(12)|
|CD/MF615 Family Development||3|
|CD/YM520 Theology of Children and Youth||3|
|CD560 OR CD660 Transformative Teaching OR Teaching Bible to Youth & Adults||3|
|CD657 OR CD658 Models of Ministry with Children OR Models of Youth Ministry||3|