Asbury Theological Seminary’s 15-credit hour certificate in pastoral care provides practical counseling skills to minister to the emotional and spiritual needs of others. All of the Certificate in Pastoral Care courses can be applied to the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling degree for those wanting further study in the field.
The certificate options are non-degree programs, but they enable you to test a call to ministry by experiencing one year of seminary education. Certificates also fulfill continuing education requirements or form a solid foundation of academic credits for those who desire to continue their education and pursue a degree.
What to Expect from the Certificate
As you complete your certificate, you will
- Demonstrate knowledge of theories, techniques, ethical practices and legal issues in order to provide appropriate care for the whole person.
- Enhance your ministry by becoming better equipped to counsel the Body of Christ.
- Application Form
- Short essay explaining the purpose for seeking admission
- Official Transcripts showing bachelor degree conferral
- Two References-One Pastoral and One Personal
- $50 Nonrefundable Application Fee
- Background Check (run by the Admissions Office)
- A personal interview may be required upon request by the Admissions Committee
Personal History Essay:
- Share your life story, including at what point you began your relationship with Jesus Christ. Talk about your growth since that time and what brings you to apply to Seminary at this season in your life. Include your thoughts on how you would like to see your faith grow during your time in Seminary.
- What draws you to your desired major/area of study? What is your intended outcome upon degree completion? Why is that career or ministry choice meaningful to you?
- Discuss a local, national, and/or international issue and why you are passionate about it.
Stephanie M. RaglinDirector of Programs at the Hope Center.
Pastor, Embry Chapel AME Church in Elizabethtown, Ky.
Christopher GossDirector of Worship Arts, Youth & Young Adults Ministries, Mosaic UMC, Georgia.
Deb AdamsFounder, Gracie's Place.
Aaron ReynoldsLeadership Development Program, Chick-fil-A.
Michael HammondPresident and Chief Servant, Faith Covenant Ministries, Missouri.
Rob MehnerDirector of Pastoral Care and Training Education, New Life Children's Home, Guatemala.
Dr. Maria Russell KenneyAssistant Professor of Christian Ethics.
Dr. Randy JessenExecutive Director, Global Hope.
Connor ReavyStudent and Marathon Runner.
George WassonLead Pastor, Faith Point Church, Floyds Knobs, Ind.
Learn more about what other graduates of Asbury Seminary are doing.
|CERTIFICATE COURSE REQUIREMENTS||Hrs Req|
|Pastoral Care Required Courses||(15)|
|PC510 Care of Persons||3|
|PC670 Pastoral Approaches to Marriage/Family Counseling||3|
|PC515 Pastoral Crisis Intervention||3|
|CO520 Narrative Counseling||3|
|PC520 Pastoral Diagnosis in Care and Counseling||3|