What to expect from the degree
As you complete your degree, you’ll be able to
- Understand contributors to contemporary socio-cultural diversity and complexity using theological and social science resources.
- Demonstrate intercultural competencies by integrating theories learned in class with experiential learning.
- Appreciate the diversity and authenticity of Christian witness around the world through new-found self-awareness.
*Refer to the Academic Catalog for the exact wording of Program Learning Outcomes.
- Application (online at asbury.to/apply)
- $50 non-refundable Application Fee
- Accredited baccalaureate degree
- The M.A. [IS] program requires a cumulative GPA of 2.75/4.0
- Official transcripts from all schools where classes were taken for more than one semester
- Personal history essay (1050-1500 words) 350-500 words per question.
- Share your testimony starting with how you met Jesus Christ. Talk about your growth since that time and what brings you to apply to seminary at this season in your life. Include your thoughts on how you would like to see your faith grow during your time in seminary.
- What draws you to your desired major/area of study? What is your intended outcome upon degree completion? Why is that career or ministry choice meaningful to you?
- Discuss a local, national, and/or international issue and why you are passionate about it.
- Optional: If your GPA is not a good indication of your academic ability, please explain.
- Four required references (references cannot be related to applicant)
- Four references completed on the Admissions Office form at asburyseminary.edu, including a pastoral reference (required) and a professor or academic administrator reference (recommended). Laity or personal acquaintances are accepted.
- For applicants whose primary language is not English, a TOEFL score of 550 (79 internet-based) or an IELTS score of 7.
- Background Check
- A personal interview may be required upon request by the Admissions Committee
Church Planting Specialization
Be equipped to plant churches in whatever culture God calls you through your study of theological, theoretical and practical literatures.
The Church Planting Specialization prioritizes
- Contextual learning–An integrated, holistic treatment of church planting draws upon fields of theology, history, sociology, ethics, anthropology, leadership and missiology. Assignments are specially crafted for the student’s present ministry context.
- Quality instruction–Classes are taught by world-class scholars who have years of experience in missions and global church planting.
- Lasting relationships–All classes are taken on-campus or online within a cohort of church planters, introducing you to a variety of peers.
- Predictable sequencing. The entire sequence of online and on-campus courses is mapped out, allowing you to plan for three short (1-2 week) trips to campus over three years.
- Scholarships. All in-ministry participants receive a $3,200 scholarship annually as funds are available. To qualify for as many financial assistance opportunities as possible, we highly recommend submitting a financial aid application during the admissions process.
Asbury Seminary's Church Planting InitiativeThe mission of the Church Planting Initiative is to connect, train, and mobilize God's people to plant and ReMission reproducing churches in every context.Learn more about Asbury's Church Planting Initiative.
Complete your degree on campus or online.
Study online. Complete your Master of Arts [Intercultural Studies] Church Planting Specialization degree in as few as three years without leaving home. Take three-fourths of your classes online and complete the remaining fourth through 1-2 week on-campus intensives.
Study on campus. Complete your degree in Kentucky or online.
Stay on mission. However you choose to pursue your degree, you’ll develop the biblical and theological understanding essential for a vibrant, contemporary ministry rooted in the Wesleyan tradition.
Asbury Seminary is committed to providing you with a quality theological education and practical skills for a lifetime. We offer more than 400 scholarships annually and our Ministry Partners Program helps you graduate with minimal debt.
Cost of Attendance
|Master of Arts
|Academic Year 2020-2021
||All Campuses Fall/Spring
||All Campuses Summer
||$170 per semester
||$85 per semester
||$200 one-time fee
||$200 one-time fee
|Student Services Fee
||$130 per semester
||$65 per semester
Institutional scholarships are available through Asbury Theological Seminary. Scholarships are highly competitive and priority consideration is given to those who have completed their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Asbury Financial Aid Application, and who have been admitted by the Admissions Office by March 1.
Recipients of scholarships must represent strong promise for Christian ministry and demonstrate a financial need.
Some of the scholarships include:
- Mary Whetstone and Walter J. Knabe Scholarship – average award $10,700
- Windgate Scholarship – average award $10,000
- J.C. McPheeters Scholarship – average award $7,000
- Timothy C. Tennent Church Planting and Cross-Cultural Missionary Service Scholarship – average award $4,500
- Leo H. Naughton Scholarship – average award $3,200
- Asbury Deans Scholarship – average award $1,500
Save Time! Save Money!
Combine your Master of Divinity, Master of Arts in Biblical Studies or Master of Arts in Intercultural Studies with a Master of Theology degree, you’ll save up to 15 credit hours! This option is designed for those planning to pursue a Ph.D. or for those seeking a deeper educational background to serve in the church or marketplace.
This dual track option allows you to:
- Share up to 15 hours between degrees, reducing your overall time and cost to complete the degrees.
- Prepare for the rigor of the Ph.D. program and strengthen your CV. Classes are taught at a Ph.D. level.
- Gain a more extensive knowledge-base for marketplace or church ministry.
- Work one-on-one with a faculty mentor.
- Shorten the admissions process if you’re already a current student.