Asbury Theological Seminary’s 15-credit hour certificate in pastoral care provides practical counseling skills to minister to the emotional and spiritual needs of others. All of the Certificate in Pastoral Care courses can be applied to the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling degree for those wanting further study in the field.
The certificate options are non-degree programs, but they enable you to test a call to ministry by experiencing one year of seminary education. Certificates also fulfill continuing education requirements or form a solid foundation of academic credits for those who desire to continue their education and pursue a degree.
What to Expect from the Certificate
As you complete your certificate, you will
- Demonstrate knowledge of theories, techniques, ethical practices and legal issues in order to provide appropriate care for the whole person.
- Enhance your ministry by becoming better equipped to counsel the Body of Christ.
- Application Form
- Short essay explaining the purpose for seeking admission
- Official Transcripts showing bachelor degree conferral
- Two References-One Pastoral and One Personal
- $50 Nonrefundable Application Fee
- Background Check (run by the Admissions Office)
- A personal interview may be required upon request by the Admissions Committee
Personal History Essay:
- Share your life story, including at what point you began your relationship with Jesus Christ. Talk about your growth since that time and what brings you to apply to Seminary at this season in your life. Include your thoughts on how you would like to see your faith grow during your time in Seminary.
- What draws you to your desired major/area of study? What is your intended outcome upon degree completion? Why is that career or ministry choice meaningful to you?
- Discuss a local, national, and/or international issue and why you are passionate about it.
Learn more about what other graduates of Asbury Seminary are doing.
Stephanie M. RaglinDirector of Programs at the Hope Center.
Pastor, Embry Chapel AME Church in Elizabethtown, Ky.
Christopher GossDirector of Worship Arts, Youth & Young Adults Ministries, Mosaic UMC, Georgia.
Deb AdamsFounder, Gracie's Place.
Aaron ReynoldsLeadership Development Program, Chick-fil-A.
Michael HammondPresident and Chief Servant, Faith Covenant Ministries, Missouri.
Rob MehnerDirector of Pastoral Care and Training Education, New Life Children's Home, Guatemala.
Dr. Randy JessenExecutive Director, Global Hope.
Connor ReavyStudent and Marathon Runner.
George WassonLead Pastor, Faith Point Church, Floyds Knobs, Ind.
Kaylea Hutson MillerAward-winning journalist and Managing Editor at The Grove Sun and the Delaware County Journal, Okla.
|CERTIFICATE COURSE REQUIREMENTS||Hrs Req|
|Pastoral Care Required Courses||(15)|
|PC510 Care of Persons||3|
|PC670 Pastoral Approaches to Marriage/Family Counseling||3|
|PC515 Pastoral Crisis Intervention||3|
|CO520 Narrative Counseling||3|
|PC520 Pastoral Diagnosis in Care and Counseling||3|
Our Master of Divinity+ comes with generous scholarships throughout the program as well as the last year tuition free! For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for financial aid:
- Complete your online application.
- Fill out your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Once you’re admitted to the Seminary, you will receive an Asbury Seminary Financial Aid form.
- After completing this, the Financial Aid office will contact you with any scholarship offers.
Cost of Attendance: 2023-2024
|Master of Divinity+||96 credits||$712/credit hour|
|Academic Year 2022-2023||All Campuses Fall/Spring||All Campuses Summer|
|Technology Fee||$225 per semester||$110 per semester|
|Graduation Fee||$200 one-time fee||$200 one-time fee|
|Student Services Fee||$160 per semester||$80 per semester|
When selecting a seminary, it’s important to consider the total cost of attending. For information about campus housing, visit our Housing section.
Institutional scholarships are available through Asbury Theological Seminary. Scholarships are highly competitive and priority consideration is given to those who have completed their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Asbury Financial Aid Application, and who have been admitted by the Admissions Office by March 1.
Recipients of scholarships must represent strong promise for Christian ministry and demonstrate a financial need.
Some of the scholarships include:
- Mary Whetstone and Walter J. Knabe Scholarship – average award $10,700
- Windgate Scholarship – average award $10,000
- J.C. McPheeters Scholarship – average award $7,000
- Timothy C. Tennent Church Planting and Cross-Cultural Missionary Service Scholarship – average award $4,500
- Leo H. Naughton Scholarship – average award $3,200
- Asbury Deans Scholarship – average award $1,500