Application FAQs

Do I have to submit all my application materials at once?

No. The first step is to submit your application form either in the mail or online. Once an application is received this will allow us to open a file for your application. All other materials can be submitted separately.

Where do I send my application materials?

Please send all application materials, regardless of where you will study, to:

Asbury Theological Seminary
ATTN: Admissions Office
204 N. Lexington Ave.
Wilmore, KY 40390

Personal history essay can be sent by email to:

Is it possible to fill out a paper copy of the application?

You can request a paper copy to be mailed anywhere in the United States of America by calling the Admissions Office at 859.858.2211. We are not able to mail paper applications outside the United States. We encourage all students located outside of North America, to apply online at

General Application

How do I know if you have received my transcripts, references, etc.?

You will gain access to our oneATS system once your application has been processed. This system will allow you to see what materials the Admissions Office has received for your file and what materials are still needed.

What is a Letter of Good Standing?

A letter of good standing is needed if you are applying as a visiting student to the Seminary. The letter must state that you are in good academic standing at your current institution, and that they will accept transfer credits from Asbury Seminary. The letter must be sent by mail in a sealed envelope directly from the institution’s Dean or Registrar. Asbury Seminary does not directly request this letter from your institution.

Application Fee

How do I pay my application fee?

Three ways:

  • Online: you will receive an email with a link to pay online once you have applied.
  • Check or money Order: you are welcome to send a check or money order by mail to the Admissions Office.

* Please note: we cannot accept wire transfers or bank drafts under any circumstance.


How do I get “official” academic transcripts sent to Asbury Seminary?

You must request your transcripts from the Office of the Registrar at each school you have attended. In order for a transcript to be an official copy, it must come in a sealed envelope directly from the school.  A faxed copy of your transcript is considered unofficial. An email copy of your transcript is considered unofficial unless emailed directly to Asbury Seminary from a clearinghouse (e-Scrip, eSCRIP-SAFE, etc.).

What if I already have a student copy of my transcript?

It will be considered unofficial and we will not be able to act on your file until an official transcript is received. You may always send it as a placeholder but it will not count as an official copy.

What if I don’t graduate until next year or next semester?

You can be admitted on a “provisional” basis with your current undergraduate transcripts if you are in your final or next to final semester at your undergraduate institution. A partial transcript and a letter from your school verifying eligibility for graduation will be needed for provisional admission. Once your degree is conferred and we receive an official transcript verifying its completion, we will change your status from “provisional” to “good.” Final transcripts must be received by the Admissions Office before the start of your first semester of classes.

What if I only took one class at another school? Do I still need a transcript?

For most Master of Arts and Master of Divinity applicants, transcripts are needed from any school that you attended for more than one semester.

If I am an international student, do I need my transcript evaluated by an outside service?

Although not required, having your transcript evaluated by an outside service (like WES) does assist us in processing your transcript in a timely and efficient manner. To learn about this, visit WES online at If translating or understanding your transcript becomes difficult, the Admissions Committee may request that you submit your transcript to WES for evaluation.


How do I get the reference forms?

You will receive an email from our Application and Communications Specialist the day after your application is processed that will contain a link to the electronic reference page. This email will also contain your “Prospective ID” and “Passcode” information. This email can be forwarded to your references, who can complete the forms online. If you need a hard copy of the reference form, you may print copies from our website. In addition, the online application will provide you the opportunity to enter the email addresses of your four references so that the form will be sent directly to them.

What kind of references do I need?

For Master of Arts and Master of Divinity applicants, we require at least one pastoral reference. The other three references can come from any number of sources, including, but not limited to, professor, co-worker, lay person, ministry supervisor, friend, employer or other. References cannot be related to you.

Who can complete my pastoral reference? 

Preferably, this form is completed by the pastor of your current church. However, we accept references from campus pastors, youth ministers, assistant pastors, executive pastors, etc.  If you are the pastor of your home church, we recommend a ministry supervisor, ministerial colleague, or superintendent. The reference can come from anyone who is in a full-time ministry position.


Do I need to take the MAT or GRE?

A Master of Arts, Master of Divinity, Certificate or Unclassified applicant is only required to take the MAT or GRE if they have not completed a bachelor’s degree or if their cumulative GPA falls below the minimum requirement for reduced load. Doctor of Philosophy students are required to take the GRE for admission.

How do I schedule my Millers Analogy Test?

You can schedule your test at or by calling 1.800.622.3231. Our school code for this test is 1170.

How do I schedule my General Records Exam?

You can schedule your GRE at or by calling 1.800.GRE.CALL. Our school code for this test is 1020.

What score do I need on the GRE?

For an M.A., M.Div., or Certificate program, a verbal score of 153 on the new scale (500 on the old scale) is required. For the Th.M. or Ph.D., a verbal score of 160 on the new scale (600 on the old scale) is required, along with an analytical score of 5.0

What score do I need on the MAT?

For the M.A., M.Div., or Certificate, a score of 410 is required. For the D.Min., a score of 419 is required.

How do I schedule a TOEFL or IELTS Exam?

You can schedule your TOEFL at, our school code is 1020.

You can schedule your IELTS at, no school code is necessary.

How do I request a TOEFL or IELTS waiver?

Please contact your admissions counselor to request a waiver, if you qualify they will send you the necessary form.

Admitted Students

Can I defer my admission?

Admitted students may defer their acceptance for up to one full year from their initial semester of acceptance. This means that a fall applicant who defers can enter in the spring, summer, or fall of the following year before they would need to reapply.

PhD and ThM applicants do not have the option of deferring their admission to a future term. Their admission is offered only for a specific term.

Who do I need to contact regarding financial aid?

Each applicant will be assigned a financial aid advisor upon acceptance. Your financial aid advisor will work with you to complete the scholarship and financial aid applications. If you have general financial aid questions you can reach financial aid by emailing