Excellence in Preaching Initiative
“…When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power.”
1 Corinthians 2:1b-5
What is the Excellence in Preaching Initiative?
Asbury Seminary’s Florida Dunnam Campus has partnered with the Lily Foundation to launch the Excellence in Preaching Initiative. This initiative will:
- Support local pastors in Hispanic, Latino and African-American churches.
- Provide resources to create more effective ministry leaders.
- Impact the quality of preaching in ethnic churches.
- The Bible charges pastors to zealously preach the Gospel.
- The Holy Spirit uses pastors to declare God’s word to His people.
- Preaching equips, challenges, nurtures and empowers individuals to obey God’s will and carry out the mission of the Church in the world.
Preaching and the competing priorities of pastoring in a local church often make preparing weekly sermons challenging. The Excellence in Preaching Initiative allows you to join a group of pastors with the same mission of excellent preaching.
Here’s how it works:
- Peer groups of pastors commit to work with, support and pray for each other as they seek to develop more effective preaching skills.
- Seedbed, the Seminary’s resourcing network, provides a series of bilingual audio and visual resources.
- These resources feature African-American, Hispanic and Latino preachers known for their effective communication skills.
- These resources provide opportunities for discussion and skill development.
- Pastors participate in preaching coaching programs, planning retreats and “Concerto de Predicacion,” a preaching conference designed specifically for the Hispanic and Latino community.
How can I participate in the Excellence in Preaching Initiative?
- Pray for the Initiative.
- Pray for pastors as they faithfully prepare and preach every week.
- Pray for congregations as they are impacted by the sermon every Sunday.
- If you are an African-American, Hispanic or Latino pastor, consider leading or joining a peer group.
- Share this initiative with your pastor and encourage membership.
- Purchase the bilingual audio-visual resources for your personal development.
- Give to the Initiative financially.
- Your contribution would allow the Excellence in Preaching Initiative to continue beyond the initial three-year grant period and provide for additional learning activities.
- Contributions may be individual or congregational.