President Tennent’s “State of the Seminary” Address to Alumni
In a video address shared in various alumni gatherings across the country, President Dr. Timothy Tennent updated alumni with the latest news from the seminary. Below are a few highlights, and you can watch the full Alumni Gathering Address here.
- This past year marked the 5th consecutive record enrollment for the seminary with over 500 new students. Over 100 of those were international.
- For the first time, more women than men started at Asbury this past spring.
- The official launch of the Tulsa extension site is this fall, creating a doorway for people on the west coast. Asbury now offers sites in Orlando, Memphis, and Tulsa.
- Over 500 church planters have been trained as part of the goal to train 1,000 church planters by 2023 to honor the legacy of H.C. Morrison and the “whole Bible for the whole world.”
- As part of the church planting initiative, Asbury has partnered with people across the world to have 4 training sites globally in Brazil, Australia, Kenya, India. There are also 4 in the United States: Memphis, Los Angeles, Kansas City, MO, and Lexington. These trainings are certificate level work which can be rolled over into degrees at Asbury.
- New Room Conference will be held in Hendersonville, TN, September 25-27th. Over the past year, New Room went on the road to 22 colleges/universities to connect with and foster growing college student interest in the conference.
- The Alumni Council, led by Rev. David Goss continues to do great work. They have raised $50,000 to renovate Fletcher Chapel, where our Daily Eucharist service is held. We continue to be grateful for our alumni and show our lifetime commitment to them through initiative like The Shepherd’s Fund, which has given $250,000 to retired alumni for medical supplies.
- Seedbed continues to do well and grow, offering resources for the whole church from the OneBook series to the Trackers of Truth children’s curriculum.
- Our Doctor of Ministry program is growing, and you are invited to be a part of one of our cohorts. Popular among alumni are the D.Min in Preaching & Leading, Church Planting, Organizational Leadership, and Spiritual Direction.
- The 2023 Campaign has gone very well as we are at the $95 million mark, but there is a long way to go. We want to fill every bucket, from expanding our global reach to $40 million in scholarships to creating a chair in theology for the Orlando campus. To fill every bucket, the campaign will need to go to $120 million. We are grateful for how far God has brought us in this, and how we have been able to see the impact of God’s work in our alumni around the world.
“We exist to grow fruit upon other people’s trees and your trees are the fruit that we want to bear upon, so we are thankful for what God is doing through you. May God bless you.” -President Dr. Timothy Tennent