11-20-2020 Update: Asbury Seminary’s Response to COVID-19
Asbury Theological Seminary and its Coronavirus Response Team (CRT) continue to monitor the evolving situation in our country and world, and the CRT meets regularly regarding any decisions the Seminary may need to take in response to these changes. As a result of its most recent meeting, the Seminary’s CRT announces the latest updates and reminders below.
- A dashboard will soon be added to the Coronavirus Response area of our website. This will include our basic positivity data for the Wilmore campus and will be updated weekly.
- The Seminary will transition to a scaled-back onsite workforce for administrative and office functions effective 5 PM, November 20, 2020 for all locations. What this means:
- Each Vice President will determine the appropriate onsite staffing level for each of their areas (since a wide variety of service needs and physical working areas exist across the Seminary’s locations) and will be responsible for communicating clearly to those within their organizational chart oversight.
- This will be similar to the approach we previously followed this past summer as we transitioned back to in-person/onsite work. All employees are still expected to be fully engaged in their work, whether they are working from home or onsite at one of the Seminary’s locations. We will continue to be enthusiastically engaged in our mission and educational work in these challenging days.
- Our current expectation is that, unless notified otherwise before then, all administrative and office staff will return to onsite work on Monday, January 4, 2021.
- This administrative transition corresponds with our plan in the summer to transition all instruction to online following the Thanksgiving break to complete the fall semester.
- During this scaled-back period, we will continue all cleaning and disinfecting that we have been doing since March.
- Wilmore Dining Services will continue to offer meal service to our residential students within the appropriate guidelines. The residential life team will work closely with Dining Services and communicate directly with our residential students about how this will function for the last three weeks of the fall term (following the Thanksgiving break).
- In-person/face-to-face instruction for the first two weeks of January will be moved to an online delivery only format for all Seminary locations. The faculty will clearly communicate with their students during this time.
- All January chapels will be provided online. December chapels were previously announced as having moved online.
- Wilmore ATS Fitness will cease in-person activities at 5:00pm on Friday, November 20. The current plan is to restart on January 4 under any then-existing state guidelines for gyms.
- The Stamps Community House will close at 5:00pm on Friday, November 20. The current plan is to reopen on January 4 as appropriate.
REMINDER: Seminary staff remain available to support anyone in our community who desires it. Please contact the appropriate person/office below based on your particular category or need:
- Faculty – Provost’s Office (859.858.2206)
- Wilmore students – Ty Konopinski (859.858.2093)
- Wilmore staff – Human Resources (859.858.2285)
- Non-Wilmore students and staff – Eric Currie (407.482.7635)
- Prayer or any other support – Community Formation (859.858.2391)
In lieu of contacting what might be the normal office or area during this closure, any employee with any questions about any of these, or other, matters should first contact their director and/or vice president directly for assistance.